The Great Turning is a name for the essential adventure of our time: the shift from the industrial growth society to a life-sustaining civilization. Although we cannot know yet if it will take hold in time for humans and other complex life forms to survive, we can know that it is under way. To see this as the larger context of our lives clears our vision and summons our courage. Joanna Macy
Humanity is at a threshold and our Earth is in great distress. I have struggled with this awakening for many years now, wondering how to create a meaningful life in these times of transition into an unknown and uncertain future. Some people are calling this transition “The Great Turning” and it requires a great deal from us. It calls us to be weavers of healing and initiation, conscious evolution and spiritual emergence. It asks us to embody a great measure of wisdom, courage, vision, and creativity to bring forth the magnitude of transformation necessary to create the best possible future for all beings. It invites us to:
– witness to the unfolding world around us with eyes and hearts wide open; to unflinchingly accept the possibilities of the most dire planetary outcomes; and to ask ourselves how, then, shall I live?
– be Edgewalkers: hospice workers to what is dying and midwives to what is wanting to be born.
– accept the Hero’s Journey of initiation into the unknown and the unfathomable with the conviction that anything is possible.
– nurture our personal healing, discern our unique and sacred “genius”, and offer these as our most vital gifts to the world.
– offer each other tools, resources, sustenance, a tribe, and a voice along the way.
The journey of discovery and transformation begins with a desire to no longer be involved in the collective pathology, but to awaken to old and new potentials, and previously unimagined possibilities.Any pain experienced during the processes is soothed by the knowledge that we labor in a colossal project of renewal for the health of all systems on this gorgeous planet.
What else is there to do?
Being Change is a sanctuary – a sangha – where we explore what we must (re)awaken, (re)embody, and (re)birth in this Great Turning time. Give yourself this sacred space to slow down, ground, breathe, heal, and be moved, step out of “the collective pathology” and into a new story that will re-wild and re-soul ourselves and our world.
Enter here to immerse yourself in a community of “Edgewalkers” who are dedicated to creating that “more beautiful world our hearts know is possible.”* Journey into the depths and breadth of powerful workings in the world on behalf of Life.
Enter here to explore ways to actively engage with these people and projects. Ask yourself what resonates. What calls to you? What might assist you on your own journey?
Enter here to go deeper into people’s experiences, reflections, and imaginings as we journey through this Great Turning. Join in the conversation. Tell your story.
PLEASE JOIN US