These five vows were created by my beloved mentor Joanna Macy. They are so “simple” yet so profound that I’m still trying to imagine what it would be like if we could truly embody them in our lives. The beauty of these words moves me greatly and they could be a powerful spiritual practice in themselves. See how they resonate with you:
- I vow to myself and to each of you to commit myself daily to the healing of our world and the welfare of all beings.
- I vow to myself and to each of you to live on Earth more lightly and less violently in the food, products, and energy I consume.
- I vow to myself and to each of you to draw strength and guidance from the living Earth, the ancestors, the future beings, and our siblings of all species.
- I vow to myself and to each of you to support you in your work for the world, and to ask for help when I need it.
- I vow to myself and to each of you to pursue a daily spiritual practice that clarifies my mind, strengthens my heart, and supports me in observing these vows.